START TRAINING FOR CANICROSS GREECE
Train your dog…to run with you
The dog loves to run with you. This is also the key way. Run along with your dog. Try to pass each other. Not too long… 10-15 "minutes is enough. It is a good idea to use dog body harness, leash waist and bungee lead (shock absorber).The driver (leash) along with the shock absorber should not exceed 2m. Remember that you must avoid any correction (punishment). Avoid heat and extreme conditions. Dogs instinctively follow the path you run and focus better on well-defined trails. You should give water and always end up with a reward.
Safety - Training
• For your safety, purchase a pair of well-trained running shoes.
• Always have a cell phone if need to inform someone for your route
• Be familiar with the environment and your route.
• When training you should have some water for your dog.
• Use a waist guide strap with shock absorber up to 2m TIPS...
You and your dog will have a more enjoyable experience if you plan your route before, and include some green areas or water areas. There are many forests and parks. Across the country there are several routes with paths, dirt roads and endless possibilities. If you live in a city, try to minimize running on hard surfaces such as cement and asphalt etc.
Signs of overheating - fatigue
If your dog has any of the following signs:
• Strong intuition, anxiety
• Looking for shade, fixation
• White sticky saliva (running)
STOP. Find some shade, give plenty of water, hear your dog and place it in a comfortable place. Call a veterinarian immediately.